Friday, April 25, 2008

Taming Tantrums

If u have a baby or toddler, u would probably be able to give me some good advice…

Somehow recently, my 19th month lil toddler has been throwing tantrums...Most recent being one of the nights earlier this week, when he was about to sleep at night and suddenly papa’s phone rang and papa went out of the room and he got curious & woke up straight away. And when papa was done with the phone call, my lil boy was already sulking…then soon enough followed by crying and throwing tantrums all over, and both me & hubby were not sure of what he really wanted that time. Our guess : it was some 30 mins passed his bed time, he was sleepy & tired, but yet didn’t feel like going to sleep?

And the worse part was….He didn’t want both papa and mama to hug or cuddle him, and he just went on sitting on his bed & crying & crying... And before I could think of any attractive good tricks to calm him, he vomited! Now…he created a whole mess and I got really mad…Ofcoz I didn’t scold him or whatever, just went on cleaning & changing him, then calm him to bed…

I did get some advice from those baby websites, but I felt most of them are very “theory”-based, ie : Model good behavior, Set good expectations, Establish rules, Be consistent and supportive, Eliminate temptation, and Avoid tantrums of your own, etc. Many of these are what we have already been doing today, but practically I must say not all of them can be done easily, ie. Avoid my own tantrums (for someone hot tempered like me)…Nevertheless, am still trying my best…

So do u have any better advice?

5 comments:

Mumsgather said...

Hope that you will be kind enough to participate in my silly Mother's Day Fantasy meme?

Dio Brando said...

I have this problem once in a while... we normal give him some gripe water to calm him down... but dun know wat is the cause of the crying, could be grouchy bcos he just woke up

Maybe u could try to carry him and walk around... the moving around may put him to sleep.

Daniel said...

i guess it's normal for baby(s) to throw tantrums... mine does every nite b4 he goes 2 sleep =(

Daphne Ling said...

Hey Sharlydia,

I know what I would do if I were you...

Call mum...My mum...;)

sharlydia said...

mumsgather - will take a look when i have some time this week

dio - we tried. the problem was, he refused to be carried, instead he just wanted to sit around and be angry & cry!

daniel - wow, so terrible ka urs? for my boy, this is quite abnormal of him coz he doesnt behave like this normally, so i'm not really used to this...

daphne - hahaha! good suggestion! but we try not to bother both sides of parents for this type of issue...I guess this is part of parenthood, where we just have to go thru & experience it...